Limited

Driver fined for throwing drink at Cyclist

I was sitting at a railway crossing just last night and the boom gate went up, a cyclist went down the middle of the two lanes and went through prior to the lights stopping flashing.  Having just 2 weeks prior seen someone pulled over and fined, I rode up to the guy and just gave him some background.  

He told me in no uncertain terms to F*** off and mind my own business.  I just smiled and said no problem, and let him roll on and continued my spin home.

A member of the public does not need any evidence of the offence being committed, which makes it nice and easy.  It is good to have a description of the driver though or even better if you can safely snap a photo.  The offender does not find out who you are unless it goes to court.  Personally, I've never attempted to confront an offender at the time as I feel that they then have an excuse for the offence and to say that they got in an argument with me or something silly and that I lodged the report for revenge / spite.  The last thing you want as an officer of the law or a similar profession, is false complaints from your "customers."

I've lodged perhaps 20 of these total whilst off and on duty.  I've only had two kick back at me when the rego number didn't match the vehicle type.  That got chased up from "another angle" and "sorted" out :-)  The other was where the driver falsely declared that they weren't on that road at that specific time, however I was able to provide evidence with a time-stamped geo-referenced iPhone photo.  That would amount to perjury if it were to be followed up.  Desperate people use desperate measures.

I find that the number of cigarette butt offenders vehicles being un-registered is disproportionate to normal non-littering drivers.  Maybe their ciggies cost so much they can't afford to pay their rego.  Makes their quick ciggie an expensive one.

Edited by BC_J400

And these "unregistered" drivers are probably half of the people who comment about cyclists needing to be registered to drive on the road.  The other half would probably drive unregistered if they felt they had to.

So if Joe Citizen takes a photo and sends it in high chance the offender is fined? Does the reporter get any confirmation of end result?

(Not related to cycling, but constantly see parked cars in my street from which rubbish is left, very occasionally see the rubbisher)

You (Joe Citizen) need to witness the rubbish being thrown out and preferably be able to provide a description of the offender.  You don't need a photo, just the rego and vehicle type.  If you don't have the vehicle type, you can get it from Vicroads on their website if you're in Vic.

It's all on the premise that you may need to go to court if the offender arcs up.  I've never been called to court.  As I said above, the only issue I've had is someone arcing up saying that they weren't at that place at that time, however that was quickly dis-proven.

• Thanks 1

See the guy in Kings park Perth pull a knife on a cyclist? Fark.